4.15.2011

recent ulta haul + swatches

sorry for the blurry cell phone pic!

I’m normally a Sephora gal (on an aside, 15% off for VIB for the next week - already got my order in, holla!) but Ulta was running a pretty sweet sale on select brands so I picked up a few things I’ve been meaning to buy/try. If you decide to swing by, be sure to print this coupon for an extra $3.50 off your $10 purchase!

First item on my list is the NYX Matte Lip Creams in Addis Ababa, Stockholm, and Monte Carlo. Addis Ababa and Stockholm are my favorites of the three. Addis Ababa in particular is amazing and so on trend with this season’s pink lips. Stockholm is a near perfect MLBB (my lips but better) nude that I’ll definitely be stocking up on while it’s still on sale. Monte Carlo is a middle of the road red. It's not dark enough to be vampy, not bright enough to pop. A run of the mill red that will probably get some use, but not very exciting. The texture is really light and almost like a mousse more than a cream. It also is very comfortable on, no heavy lipstick feeling at all, just a really nice, light texture that actually feels (even if it's not) moisturizing. My only qualm is that there doesn’t seem to be that much product in there, so I’d probably pass if I had to pay $6 retail, but the $2.50 I paid for it on sale is a great deal.

Also picked up a few of Revlon's Super Lustrous Lipsticks in Fuchsia Fusion (pearl), Mauve it Over (matte), and Sultry Sable (cream). I picked up Fuchsia Fusion on a whim and am absolutely in love with it. It’s very close to one of my all time FAVE (and sadly discontinued) lipsticks but in a pearl finish. If Revlon ever decides to make a matte version, I would buy it in a heartbeat! It’s also on the blue side of pink so it really pops against my skintone. Mauve it over is a MLBB nude that is more on the pinky brown side of nude, which I prefer. I also have Nude Velvet (cream) which is also a MLBB nude but more on the brown side, as well as Nude Attitude (matte) which is totally unwearable on me without a gloss on top. Mauve it Over wins out over both, hands down. Sultry Sable is one of their new colors, and while I do like it, it’s also a bit high maintenance to wear. I find I like it best when gently patted on from the tube, or used with a lip brush - basically a lighter application. I might pick up Wine Not (matte) which is similar but hopefully easier to wear. The Revlon Colorstay in Fabulous Fig (matte) is still my fave though. I think I did a mini review in a previous post.

Lastly, Maybelline's Fit Me Blush in Deep Nude. The Fit line is new to Maybelline, I believe, and is supposed to be earth friendly, or something along that line. Most of my blushes are in the pink/mauve/berry range so I thought I would try a coral peachy color and surprisingly, this worked out really well. It’s a subtle wash of color, perfect for nude looks and the coming summer months. My hands are a slight bit darker than my face, I'd say maybe NC27 or HD118/123 so you can barely see the color (esp w/ flash), but on my face which is NC25/HD120 it looks great and adds a subtle wash of color. It was a total steal too at only a little over $2 on sale!


No flash. Top: Fit Blush in Deep Nude. Middle L to R: NYX Lip Creams in Addis Ababa, Stockholm, and Monte Carlo. Bottom L to R: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Fuchsia Fusion (pearl), Mauve it Over (matte), and Sultry Sable (cream).



With flash. 

No comments: