2.06.2011

Phuket bound

It's been three days since I first arrived in Thailand and it's been a blast. Hot, but fun. I'm typing from the Thai Airways lounge which is the first reliable and fast internet connection I've had since I've been here. The iPad it turns out, not so great for emailing, blogging, etc....but still pretty useful to have for quick Google searches to find the nearest Mos Burger. :)

On my way to Phuket for a little business, a little pleasure. I haven't been there in years, and not since the tsunami hit, so it should be quite the experience to be back again. So far my days have been filled with trying new and interesting foods (like a new variety of rose apple that actually smells like roses!) and old faves (I had my mom call in an order for pork and sticky rice from my fave stall before we even got there!) and a little bit of sightseeing. I finally made it to Ancient Siam, which everyone said I had to see and it really lived up to the hype. The attention to detail was amazing, from the small crystal bottles filled with old style perfume to the hand painted Thai designs on the walls. It was pretty amazing. I also saw a 1/3rd replica of Angkor Wat which may be as close as I get to the actual thing for now. News of the unrest between Cambodia and Thailand in the border area seems to intensify with each day and there are rumors of a protest mounting. In the Capitol, both the Yellow and Red shirts are still holding demonstrations although in far less numbers than before, but it's still enough to warrant a strong police presence. Seems like there's always something brewing in the land of smiles. Will update again soon, and hopefully with pictures.