1.11.2011

Top 5 Winter Faves


I may not like American Apparel as a company, but I do love their winter leggings! I have 4 or 5 pair in constant rotation and wear them on an almost daily basis during the winter. They look especially great tucked into boots or booties. I'm usually not one to rock the whole leggings-as-pants look, but with these, I don't really mind since they are thick and feel/look like pants, even if they are leggings. My fave right now are the denim ones, available in store but not online apparently. For all the folks who bought the AA groupon, go out and get a pair now!


I'm sort of addicted to SPF. I love this one because you can use it for face and body, has an SPF of 30+, and is one of the safest products on the market. Most sunscreens use either natural (TiO2, etc..) or chemical ingredients to work its magic. The downside of natural ingredients is that they can clog pores and are often cakey and white (think of the summer beach bum with the white nose) while chemical ingredients have harmful side effects. I don't know how they do it but this sunscreen ranks at the top of the list for safe sunscreens, doesn't turn cakey/white, and is actually pretty moisturizing too. I use this daily, even in the winter when the skies are grey and rainy!
 
 
I got this on a whim during the crazy Sephora VIB sale when everything was 20% off and now I love it! I use #202 and it's the perfect shade for me right now. At first I thought it was a hair on the beige side, but now it's perfect. I love it for the absolutely flawless my-skin-but-better finish, the lightweight feel, and the uber cute packaging. It's supposedly HD makeup (meaning it will look awesome on film/video/etc) but I haven't looked through pictures to compare. It's a bit pricier than I would like but with the discount it ended up being just a bit more than my beloved Mac Mineralize. I use this every morning after I apply sunscreen since it does not contain any SPF. A little goes a long way, and coverage is buildable which is always appreciated. :)


My friend Mer was the one who first introduced me to this line of handbags when she returned from France with one years and years ago. Apparently everyone in France uses these. I can see why, it's so versatile! I use mine everyday. I have 4 of these in different colors. I only get the large sized ones because I love big bags and I always have a ton of stuff on me. It's extremely rugged (I often use this to haul books and it shows no strain/wear), super easy to clean, lightweight, packable (it features a foldable design that is GREAT for travel) and goes with EVERYTHING. I love the simple, understated elegance of these bags and how timeless they are. I see grandmothers and 20-somethings alike rocking this bag and they both wear them so well.

I have a pen addiction. There, I said it. I'd been coveting this pen for a while now and finally bought one recently. It's all true. It really is as great as everyone says it is. I LOVE this pen. The grip that some complain about is perfectly balanced and comfortable in my hand. The F nibs are so buttery smooth it's unbelievable that it's made out of steel. The EF, not so much. I tried 2 and one was a dud while the other was just as great as the F, only with a slightly finer line. Hit or miss I guess. It is also true that once you buy one you want to buy more. I went from none to one to three in the span of a week. Le sigh. I'm using this with Noodler's Pasternak ink (a pale periwinkle ink from their Russian line, all named after Russian authors...how could I resist???) with this pen currently and the combination is very wintery. Also, all the nibs are removable and interchangeable, how awesome is that!

Also, don't forget to enter my giveaway (just leave a comment on this post to be entered) for a chance to win an art prize package, and everyone who enters will receive a set of mini stickers! Giveaway ends at the end of this week so hurry!

5 comments:

bitter much said...

yay for denim leggings & longchamp!

and yes, i am slowly making my blog public...o_O.

-mer

bitter much said...

yay for denim leggings & longchamp!

and yes, i am slowly making my blog public...o_O.

-mer

Jantira K said...

Yayee!!! i missed the good old days of when you would xanga...

Hanna K. said...

alo alo i want denim leggings

liz said...

i love my longchamp as well! i have a huge one that i fold and take with me on trips.. when i buy too many souvenirs i unfold it and use it as my second bag.

dude jan you should be a prof blogger! so articulate you are~