4.06.2010

Private Spaces


I am a secret voyeur and love seeing into other people's spaces. I especially love seeing inside someone's studio space, it's like a glimpse into their working process and says so much about their creative energy. Back in my wild college days my loft space was a total mess (as was I) but it fed me creatively. I loved the paintings on the walls and the taped up torn magazine spreads and page after page of negatives, prints, and test sheets, all mixed up with tubes of oil paints and sandpaper and sharpies and spray cans underneath my desk and stencils strewn across the floor. It was a mess but it was a creative mess and it worked for me.

This is my workspace now - it's just a corner of my room. I also have a little cubby space on the left that I'm trying to fit my easel into. It's still a work in progress - all my books don't fit on my bookcases and I still have so much art to frame and hang up and my desk is far too cluttered to do anything other than write or type - but it's getting there.

Speaking of a cluttered desk, I'm also fascinated by the contents of things. I love seeing inside someone's bag, or bookcase, or desk. On my desk is: 30,000 years of art, print by matta-clark, 5-year journal, morning pages journal, heritage themed traveling journal, hero 329 fountain pen with pr burgundy mist ink, a very late birthday present that still needs to be wrapped and mailed, vase full of pens/markers, macbook, bamboo, drawing dummy, moisturizer, watch, this week's new yorker, and a yellow tray of misc items...I think there's tea in there. Above is a painting by Deth P Sun. On the right you can see half of Doraemon's face. :)

I am also super excited about my birthday present from my sister. I made her spill the beans (as I usually do) and she told me she got me this book. SO WEIRD! That book has been on my amazon/border's wishlist for months! Totally feeds my studio envy and voyeuristic tendencies.

5 comments:

SLY said...

God, I love you. I just think you are fabulous!

Summer said...

remember when my studio space had rows and rows of jars of very cherry jellybeans with a manic sign saying, "eat these and i will fuck you up"

...

...

what does that say about my creative energy?

Jantira K said...

AHAHAHA....man, good times...

Hanna K. said...

oooh i like this post. your room looks nice!

Charissa - The Gifted Blog said...

Hi Jan - Thanks for the visit and kind comment! Hey, we have a 5-year journal for my son. It's been really fun to look back on and remember different small events a year later. Hey, if you are up for it, I would love you feedback on navigating The Gifted Blog. I'll try to find your e-mail and write you soon!